Waking up with elephants

29th September 2013

Sunday 29th September 2013

Eles were back again last night. When I woke up at 0345 there seemed to be one right outside my tent. I’m beginning to get used to them but that’s when I’m on the inside.

My main worry was that I had to get up in 45 minutes to go about my duties, if it was still there I wasn’t going anywhere. Luckily when the time came they’d moved away from my tent but they were still very much in camp.

I was pleased with how I went about the situation and in particular walking around camp in total awareness. Well not that total awareness, when I was waking people up and warning them I realised it was a breeding herd and there were straggles on the opposite side of camp too – at this point its pitch black and you’re simply going off what you can hear.

As there was more activity in camp the eles called it a day and moved off led by their matriarch, the moody Ailsa.

As I was guiding today I had to do my vehicle check first up, make sure all the fluids were topped up, all the equipment in the car and the tyres were tip top which they weren’t so the first lesson of the day was changing a tyre.

I was disappointed with my drive as felt I wasn’t sharp with my facts and therefore lost confidence early doors. This probably made me more serious and less enthusiastic than I should have been. Whilst that was the feedback at the end of the drive there were also plenty of positives to focus on. I also felt that I’m beginning to notice some field signs without evening thinking about it.

The weather was shocking today, only 17 degrees as well as windy which meant we ditched the afternoon activity and watched “Ghosts of the darkness”. It’s a film about the man eating lions of Tsavo which dragged people from their tents whilst they were sleeping…possibly not the best choice of films!

I also must mention that poor Duncan paid a visit to the local medical clinic after dislocating his little toe playing frisbee. He did insist it was “ULTIMATE frisbee” when telling the nurse what had happened.